Philosophy & Process:
I am an evaluative mediator with skills best suited to cases in litigation or in the pre-litigation stages.
- Mediation should focus on the hard issues in the case. Whether they are issues of law, fact or evidence.
- Probable results, and the cost and risk of litigation usually drive a settlement.
- Authorized decision-makers should be present during the mediation process.
A week before the mediation, I request a detailed position statement from each party.
My role in the process includes
- Explaining the risks and expenses associated with litigation.
- Minimizing time spent in mediation.
- Determining if enough information is available for a successful resolution.
- Communicating information through an opening session, as requested.
- Calling parties to get additional information, or to request they address certain issues during mediation.
- Following up on mediations not concluded on the day scheduled for mediation.